Australia

Do compression stockings prevent dvt? so if you wear them does that mean you won't get dvt?

Dr. Shashank Jain
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Nope: They do prevent DVT. However a thrombus/clot is a result of multiple factors, and a compression stocking can control (that too a degree) - one of them. There fore it cannot guarantee "that you won't get a dvt". But they do CUT down the risk of getting a DVT - so if your situation appropriates it, please do use it. I definitely ask my parents to use it while flying for long times.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Vascular Surgery 43 years experience
Dvt: They are the best possible choice yet dvt can sometimes occur
Last updated Jun 9, 2017