U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old female asked:

Compression stockings don't help pain what else can i do? i had a dvt in my right leg 2 years ago. it went from my groin to ankle. i still have pain in this leg, and when i walk any distance or even a 50 yards i get excuriating pain in my leg, specific

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Monica Wood
Hand Surgery 30 years experience
It : It sounds like you had a very severe clot. You do not mention a cause, but you are at risk of developing more clots. I would assume you have had a discussion with your physician about the pros and cons of long-term anti-coagulation (blood thinning). If not, you should do so. It is possible you have another clot causing the pain, but i'm going to assume the pain is more chronic and not changing. Post-dvt syndrome is very difficult. The valves in the veins that keep blood from back-flowing are often damaged. Blood tends to pool in the legs, making them swollen and sore. Compression stockings are the mainstay of treatment, but you may need more or less compression than you are getting. Have you tried different grades? Are you using knee-high or thigh-high stockings? Are they getting stretched out to where they are less effective? If changing stockings doesn't help, you can try a regimen of elevation. This would require physician supervision and time off to lay in bed with your foot above your heart. Because you have increased clotting risk, you would still have to get up periodically to promote circulation and you may require blood thinners during that period. Once the swelling goes down, increase activities in intervals as tolerated. Anti-inflammatories may be helpful, but often cannot be mixed with blood thinners. Talk to your physician about managing pain and inflammation with medications. You may also have a second problem in addition to post-dvt syndrome, such as peripheral vascular disease. A vascular surgeon might be helpful in evaluating your leg and giving you more advice.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
40 years experience
You may: Have developed another DVT are you on blood thinner. I would consider this an emergency and suggest you get it checked right away!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Neil Halin
Interventional Radiology 41 years experience
Consult: you should see a Vascular Surgeon or Interverntional Radiologist who specializes in venous diseases. You might benefit from further intervention to remove chronic clot or stent open narrowed veins. You can find more information at www.sirweb.org or www.vascularweb.org
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 1, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.