What is involved in retinal cryopexy in the case of retinal detachment?

Dr. Samuel Barone
Ophthalmology 23 years experience
Freeze therapy: When tears in the retina are identified, a goal of intervention is to seal the tear (like spot-welding it closed) to prevent fluid from getting underneath the retina. Cryotherpay does just that by applying a very cold probe to the outside of the eye to freeze small spots around the tear. Local numbing medicine is usually used before the cryotherapy to minimize tha discomfort.
Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology 23 years experience
Cryo: Cryo involves using a very cold probe to seal some areas of the peripheral retina. This is usually used with laser and retinal surgery to fix a retinal detachment, and to prevent it from recurring. The eye is numb during the entire procedure.
Dr. Bernard Godley
Retinal Surgery 33 years experience
Outpatient Surgery: A retinal detachment can be repaired two ways. First, via an in-office procedure called a pneumatic retinopexy, and second, a more involved outpatient surgery employing a vitrectomy and/or scleral buckle. The first type is suited for a certain type of detachment that can be repaired with laser or a freezing treatment, and a gas bubble injection, whereas the second type is done in the operating room.
Dr. Mark Michels
Ophthalmology 37 years experience
Cryopexy: Retinal cryopexy usually involves the placement of a local anesthetic followed by a nearly painless application of cold (cryo) that creates an inflamed area to which the detached area adheres. Sometimes, a gas bubble is also used to bring the retina closer to the eye wall.