Does popping a pimple on the lip cause a brain abscess? should i be worried?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Chioma Lazz answered

Specializes in

Not really: The lip does not have a direct access to the brain and would be unusual to cause brain abscess. It is usually not advisable to pop pimples, much better to use acne medications

Answered 3/31/2015

3.8k views

Dr. William Winget answered

Specializes in Dentistry

I hope not!: Popping a lip pimple could cause some localized swelling and some mild local irritation. I have never heard of anyone suffering brain abscess from pimples. It would be close to impossible.

Answered 3/31/2015

3.8k views

Dr. Susan Rhoads answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Not too much!: We have all heard that sort of story & while there are rare cases of brain abscesses from minor trauma to the face, like popping pimples, most of us (incl. me) have never seen one. There is a rich network of blood vessels in the area around your mouth & nose & germs can spread to brain from them: See: http://tinyurl.com/boljoh Too hard squeezing of a pimple, boil anywhere can spread germs.

Answered 3/16/2016

3.8k views

Dr. Shari Schabowski answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

No: There is a drainage pathway from the lip that can go into the brain and at its worse could cause meningitis or cavernous sinus thrombosis both of which are potentially deadly. For perspective this CAN happen but it is extermely unlikely. Those diseases are accompanied by severe headache fever and altered mental status (confusion). If you are otherwise fine and functional your risk is very low.

Answered 9/2/2017

3.8k views

Dr. Steven Celestin answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Rest easy. You're OK: You can possibly develop a small abscess on your lip depending on how it was popped and how clean you keep the area. However, there is no connection between your skin and your central nervous system (as long as there is no penetrating trauma), so your brain is safe. To avoid future similar concerns, use warm compresses to allow pimples to pop on their own instead of rupturing them yourself.

Answered 3/31/2015

3.8k views