can you get hep c or hiv/ aids from touching dry blood and then rubbing your eyes?

2 doctor answers
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
42 years experience Dentistry
Hep C yes!: If the dried blood that touched the mucous membrane of your eyes is infected with the Hep C virus, than yes there is a possibility you could get infected from that exposure. Hep C is very resistant and can stay vital on any surface for weeks. The AIDS virus really can't live outside a host cell very long, so you at very low risk for getting AIDS. If you are worried, get tested.
Answered on Sep 12, 2018
1
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
35 years experience Pain Management
Hep C-yes, HIV-no: Hepatitis C virus dried on inanimate surfaces can remain infectious for up to 6-8 weeks. HIV will not be present in sufficient quantity in dried blood.
Answered on Nov 28, 2017