will i develop glaucoma if i have increased eye pressure?

Dr. Sarab Alfata
Yes: Inceased eye pressure is one of the definitions for the closed angle glaucoma and the pressure should be lowered to save vision.
Dr. Jason Campbell
Yes: Possibly so - other factors such as age and actual pressure readings will play a role in your specific risk for developing glaucoma. It would be wise to follow up with an eye specialist and understand your risk and recommendations for risk reduction through intra-ocular pressure control.
Dr. Robert Chang
Specializes in Ophthalmology
Yes: Yes, but it depends. If you raised someone's eye pressure acutely above 40 mmhg, then glaucoma would develop. However, some patients have pressure of 28 mmhg and don't develop glaucoma while others have pressure of 15 mmhg and still get glaucomatous damage. Thus, increased pressure is only one risk factor -- glaucoma can happen at any pressure that is too high for that person's optic nerve.