PA

i'm going out tonight to celebrate a birthday and i was given diflucan (fluconazole) how long after drinking can i take the pill? or is it ok to mix alcohol with it

Dr. Lisa Welch
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Meds and alcohol: Do not mix medication and Alcohol. Diflucan (fluconazole) stays in your system for at least 3 days.
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Diflucan (fluconazole): I can find no specific interaction with alcohol, however, it can cause many of the same side effects as alcohol. Namely elevated liver functions, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, damage to the liver, and abdominal pain. Therefore, since the effects could be additive I would recommend that you not take the chance and drink while taking diflucan (fluconazole).
Dr. Chan Hwang
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 27 years experience
Do not drink: Diflucan (fluconazole) is a powerful drug with potential side effects which can be worse if you drink. Side effects include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. These will worsen with alcohol. Since Diflucan (fluconazole) stays in the system for about a week, the best option is to avoid alcohol for a week after taking Diflucan (fluconazole). Perhaps you can celebrate with non-alcoholic beverages instead. Bars have non-alcoholic options.