United Kingdom

Is amitriptyline used to help sleep?

Dr. James Fox
Yes, but...: Yes, it may be prescribed just as a sleep aid, but there are many better choices. Melatonin, Trazodone, Benadryl are safe alternatives. Restoril, Ambien, and Sonata (zaleplon) are alternatives as well but are riskier given potential for abuse, withdrawal, dependence, and daytime sedation the following day.
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Sometimes: It can definitely aid in sleeping as it has significant drowsy side effects, but is usually prescribed to help with another condition like chronic fibromyalgia pain or other neurological pain like migraines sometimes with the added benefit of also helping you sleep. I'm sure there are some doctors out there who may prescribe it for the sole purpose of being a sleep aid.
Yes: In this situation, it's side effect of sedation is used to aid sleep.