Chicago, IL

My 3yr old daughter has an alpha thalassemia trait which i found she inherited from me. we're the same blood type could that have been the reason?

Dr. Riley Alexander
Pathology 11 years experience
Inheritance: Both are inherited characteristics and are simply due to the fact that you are her mother (and were also affected by the father)...they aren't "linked" together. Thalasemias are due to production defects in hemoglobin, the oxygen carrying part of your red blood cells. Blood type (A, B, O) is due to carbohydrate groups on the red cells. Whichever type you have is your blood type.

Last updated Oct 29, 2016