I have a drug test tomorrow for work and i went to the er 4 days ago and they gave me one tramadol will it show up ?

11 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. John Munshower answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Tramadol: Tramadol is not usually tested for specifically, but it is an opiod derivative, Although an opioid, the chemical structure of tramadol (ultram) differs significantly from that of morphine. And so, tramadol alone will not show positive for opiates on a urine drug test. You can always be honest and tell them the truth about the ED and the tramadol Rx, as currently, tramadol is not considered a controlled substance or a narcotic by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)

Answered 10/11/2014

3.9k views

Dr. Natalie Sieb answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Probably not: Although tramadol is a kind of opiate medication, it stimulates a different receptor than the more common opiates and I think it has a slightly different kind of metabolite that shouldn't show up on a standard drug test. Plus, even if it does come back positive, you can ask the ER for records that they gave it to you for a medical reason, which your employer shouldn't hold against you.

Answered 7/23/2014

3.9k views

No: Most likely will not show in your test on day 5, especially only one pill.. Besides, they do not test for tramadol since it is not a narcotic. It is an opioid and is controlled in a few states.If ,in the unlikely situation, that an issue arises, you can always get a copy of your ER report to prove things. Get it from the hospital medical recordanyway and be prepared. Good luck in your job search.

Answered 5/11/2015

3.9k views

Dr. Liesa Harte answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

You should tell them: You should have the opportunity to report any medications you have been prescribed when you do the drug test. It shouldn't matter if it it shows up or not as long as you were taking only medication given to you under a doctor's order.

Answered 7/23/2014

3.9k views