U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 20-year-old female asked:

I have a tightness in my right chest, above my breast that goes up to the top of my shoulder. also numbness in both hands and arms. help?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Boe
Dr. John Boeanswered
Emergency Medicine 23 years experience
Try to relax: Right sided chest tightness in someone your age is less likely to have a serious cause than an older adult. Any recent long travel? Pain in the back of your legs? Do you have a history of asthma? If you are feeling anxious and you are breathing rapidly as a result, then your rapid breathing is likely causing the numbness on your hands/arms. Sit down/rest and get your mind on something else.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
Need more info: Your symptoms warrant an in-person evaluation by taking history, physical examination and may be some tests. In the meantime, if you are overweight, try to lose weight. It would be prudent to consult your doctor for an evaluation.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 23, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.