If i think i have completely lost my mind and can't get over depression for several years with all kinds of methods tried... is there a place for me?

14 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Don't lose hope: I don't see any medications listed. Has your psychiatrist tried mood stabilizers? Mixing antidepressant with mood stabilizer? Mixing antidepressant with abilify (aripiprazole)? How effective was the talking therapy you received. If you are not working with a psychiatrist - then you need to be. Don't give up - get the right care.

Answered 4/5/2016

3.9k views

Dr. Nayana Trivedi answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

You are special: The fact that you are trying to reach out for help ; states you have not lost your mind completely. Depression gets worse with loneliness and self pity. Please get out of house and be with your family. Alcohol is a depressant. It only makes on forget reality temporarily. Ask your friend or family to take you to the psychiatrist. Or out patient Psychotherapy. Meditation and Yoga class helps too.

Answered 4/5/2016

3.9k views

Dr. Marshall Bedder answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Always a place for u: Please talk to your Psychiatrist. There have been some exciting new studies using Ketamine to treat unresponsive depression.

Answered 6/10/2017

3.9k views

Dr. Warren Wolfe answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Yes: Depression that has persisted for several years will take a while to be lifted. I assume that you have seen a psychiatrist & he/she prescribed antidepressant medication. In that case you have a few choices to make; find a new psychiatrist who takes the time to talk in depth with you. After a time if no progress consider hospitalization & electroconvulsive treatment.

Answered 7/20/2014

3.9k views

Dr. Stuart Erner answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

New depression RX: If you've failed on all of the meds your psychiatrist has given you, I'd look into a new non-drug therapy called transcranial magnetic stimulation (NMS).The technology was developed by Neuronetics and if visit their website you'll get info as to where such treatment is available. No hospitalization is needed and it's less risky than ECT.

Answered 7/20/2014

3.9k views