am i depressed i have been feeling really down i haven't been sleeping at all suicide throught run through my mind but i don't know what to do and im 16 years old male

Hello. : Hello. There is a good possibility that you could have a major depression. Feeling depressed with sleep disturbances can be symptoms of depression. Other symptoms can include: change in appetite; low energy level; isolating from other people; poor concentration and / or memory; not liking yourself as much; feeling helpless or hopeless about your life; losing motivation, not taking care of things like bathing regularly or brushing your teeth and lack of joy. I am the most concerned about your thoughts of suicide. Please tell your parents about this right away. You can have them read this response as well. Depression is a serious disease. It needs to be treated just like any other health condition. If you have a plan or thoughts about how to kill yourself and any urges what so ever to act on it, this is an emergency and you should have your parents bring you to the emergency room now. If they aren't home and you are afraid you might hurt yourself, then call 911. Even if you only have vague thoughts about suicide, this needs to be taken seriously and you need evaluation. There are great treatments available for depression. You don't have to deal with this much pain. Depression is a treatable condition. You deserve to feel joy. It was brave of you to write in to this site. Now, that you know your thoughts and feelings are probably due to a medical condition (depression); the next step is to get a thorough evaluation so that you can start seeing improvements in your life. Don't lose hope. Get help.
Dr. Sara Buckley
Clinical Psychology 18 years experience
Possibly...: Please get an in-person evaluation by a qualified health professional. Your pcp is a good place to start if you're not sure who to call. You can also call the crisis call center at 1-800-273-8255 or text ctl to 741741. You can also call 911. Please don't delay getting help.
Please let your parents know immediately about your suicidal thoughts so that they can assist you with getting help. Take care.
Mar 27, 2014