Washington, DC

pillcam report: multiple avms + erythema in small bowel. lymphoid hyperplasia distal s/b. cecum erythema/avm as well. can't get in to discuss this w/gi for weeks. can someone help translate findings?

Dr. Leila Hashemi
Angiodysplasia/AVM: Angiodysplasia is a degenerative lesion of previously healthy blood vessels found most commonly in the cecum and proximal ascending colon. Angiodysplasia is the most common vascular abnormality of the GI tract. After diverticulosis, it is the second leading cause of lower GI bleeding in patients older than 60 years.
Dr. Virginia Phipps
Hospital-based practice 21 years experience
Abnormal findings: Basically what you have are multiple tortuous veins/arteries in your colon They are abnormal because they are veins connected directly to arteries; usually separated by capillaries. These are called AVMs (arteriovenous malformations). They have increased risk of bleeding. As long as you are not having blood in your stools you should be okay. Also lymphoid hyperplasia is just reactive changes.