U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old male asked:

Smoking caused acidity.took prilosec 10 months.stopped the med. and again feel light ache.endoscoped-mild antral gastritis.should i continue the med. ?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 40 years experience
Sure, but...: Unless you have a known allergy or sensitivity to prilosec, then this drug is a very appropriate choice for gerd and gastritis re-management. As proven effective and relatively safe as it may be (it has been commercially available in the usa since 1989), the drug is not meant for prn ("as needed") use--the drug reaches its optimal acid suppression after several days of daily use. No smoking pls!
Dr. Diane Minich
Family Medicine 38 years experience
Yes: Discuss with your GI doctor before deciding to stop the medication.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jul 16, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.