Is 5.7 a bad a1c level? my dr didnt seem concerned. no history of diabetes in my family, but i am obese. i have recently lost 20 lbs

Dr. Thomas Knecht
32 years experience
A1c above normal: Hi. That A1c is above normal. A1c is a pretty insensitive way to diagnose diabetes. You have pre-diabetes by those criteria.Healthy diet & regular exercise is important, as is achieving and maintaining ideal body weight. Good luck!
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 29 years experience
Not bad,,,: This level is within a normal range which is generally around 4.0 - 5.9. The weight loss is a great step and it should be continued. You're relatively young, so it's good to get serious about this now, especially if you're overweight, as this is a risk factor for diabetes. Best of luck.

Last updated Nov 11, 2019