Newton Falls, OH

can abilify (aripiprazole) 15mg and 60mg of vyvanse case meanness and irritability in a 13 year old. who is depressed and has adhd ?

Dr. Susan Arnoult
Yes: Those symptoms sound like the very ones Abilify (aripiprazole) and Vyvanse are supposed to treat. Either the meds are not dosed right or another diagnosis is also in play. See your psychiatrist to go over symptoms and meds.
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Child Psychiatry 23 years experience
Why abilify (aripiprazole)?: Am concerned about a teen being placed on 15mg of ability for depression. Not indicated for that. And yes, this is a robust dose of this second generation antipsychotic. It is approved for for bipolar disorder type 1 in children and teens.Requires monitoring via blood metabolic parameters and has much different side effect profile. SSRI tops for depression.Ask doc to give you thought process.