Livermore, CA

I'm 53 and had a d&c/hysteroscopy/polyp and fibroid removal. i started having hot flashes 10 days later & get them every 1/2 hour. could the d & c have caused this? maybe messed with my hormones?

Dr. Shari Schabowski
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
Possible: Of all the things you had done only the hysteroscopy could effect your ovaries and that is extremely unlikely. Ovaries make the hormones that when lacking are responsible for menopause. It is possible that the stress of surgery may have provoked menopausal symptoms that were already on the way naturally or it could be coincidence.
Dr. Michael Sokol
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Yes.: I've have seen this in my practice. Return to your gynecologist and make sure there are no obvious complications from the procedure. If not, there are some blood tests that might be helpful to support your contention and help guide potential hormone replacement therapy
Dr. Anne Eglash
May be coincidental: The actual procedures that you had should not have changed your ovarian function, meaning that they should not have changed your hormones. However, you are in perimenopause, so lots of things can bring on more hot flashes. Stress is a big one, and you just had a big stress to your body with the procedure. Any change in sleep, diet, or meds associated with the procedure might also contribute.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017