Twin Falls, ID

If you have oral cancer will it show up on both sides of mouth at same time? sorry for all the seperate questions but cant get into doc for2 more wks

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgical Oncology 65 years experience
Rare: Oral cancer which is a form of squamous cancer is always found on the lateral side of tongue or adjacent floor of mouth. The lesion is best identified, not so much by the superficial ulceration but by its firmness. While it is true that the lesion is associated with a field effect requiring proper resection and possibly RT chemo depending on the TNM, status proper treatment can be curative.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Oral cancers: I see you chew tobacco. This is a known cause of oral cancers. Along with alcohol consumption your risks increase greatly. I also see you have difficulty swallowing. I'm glad you are having this evaluated. You can have multiple areas of precancerous or cancerous lesions. Let this be a wake-up call to stop using all forms of tobacco and get head and neck soft tissue screenings every 6 months.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Yes, it is possible: Cancer can strike any part of the mouth, including the lips and tongue. If the cancer is not detected early, tumors can grow deep into local tissues and spread to lymph glands in the neck. The risk for oral cancer increases with age and alcohol and tobacco use. Only biopsy can support the diagnosis. Take care.
Last updated Jul 13, 2014