Laramie, WY

oral surg said i have pretty significant arthritis in my jaw. what dose this mean? i'm 32 how is this poss? how will it effect me? treatable?

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
Osteoarthrosis: of TMJ is an inflammatory degenerative disorder of the TMJ that is characterized by deterioration of the articular tissues and remodeling of the underlying subchondral bone. The bony changes can result from mechanical overloading (gum chewing) of the joint but may also occur secondary to an articular disc displacement. If concerned see an orofacial pain specialist near you: http://www.aaop.org/