India

i have a weak liver. 20mg atorvastatin daily lowered my liver func. hence simvastatin 10mg every alt. day is prescribed. is it safe for the liver?

Dr. Diane Minich
Can affect liver: so have liver functions retested in a couple of months. If elevated could try Zetia (ezetimibe) or a fenofibrate.
Dr. Alireza Raboubi
...: you will have to continue to monitor this with routine LFTs. elevation in LFts secondary to statin therapy is usually evident in the first 3 months of therapy and is dose dependent. it is recommended to decrease dose or change med if ALT is 3 times the upper limit of normal. if thats the case, pravachol (pravastatin) may ve an option since it is primarily metabolized by the kidneys.