how long does it take for periodental disease to affect heart?

Dr. Bruce Pope
Dentistry 45 years experience
Inflammation: Chronic inflammation is the problem, and the bodies reaction to the inflammation. It causes/adds to existing conditions in the blood vessels to hinder and eventually block blood flow. It is one of a number of factors that increase the risk of heart disease. Periodontal disease itself , alone, doesn't cause a specific heart injury.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
Unknown variable: Research done so far has sown that people with gum disease are more likely to have heart disease than those with healthy gums. A large number of studies have been performed over the last two decades, but studies thus far have not shown the significant time period.
Dr. Thomas Mchugh
Specializes in Dentistry
Periodontal disease: Your question should be how do I best take care of my teeth and gums so that I never get periodontal disease that could affect my heart. See your dentist, have your teeth cleaned and checked for gum disease. ANY gum disease can affect your heart. No time is "safe". If you have periodontal disease, seek treatment and be safe.