Chicago, IL

I'm 22 year old girl, 5'5 and just weighed myself at 434 pounds. i'm very disgusted w/myself. i want to know which weight loss surgery would be best.

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwataanswered
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Need to weigh risks: first with your doctor, before just chosing bariatric surgery first. There's pros and cons when your stomach is reduced to the size of a small finger or less. Before it's even a consideration, weight loss is mandatory to make sure of the success of the surgery, and a psychological profile too. So, being in the best shape to have it done is important, so you won't suffer complications.
Dr. Thomas Knecht
32 years experience
Bariatric surgery: Hi. It's got to be very difficult for you, but at least you're looking at solutions. Bariatric surgery has gotten a lot more routine, and it's god a very good safety record in the right hands. See a major bariatric surgery center; there are very good ones in the Chicago area. The most effective are Roux-en-Y and biliopancreatic diversion. Gastric sleeve & gastric band are less successful. Good luc

Last updated May 2, 2016