Monroe Township, NJ

I was diagnosed with hand foot mouth disease when will i know that the virus is gone?

Dr. Tanya Russo
HFM shedding: Hand Foot Mouth Disease is a viral infection which is most contagious during the period when the infected person feels most ill (5-10 days). Viral shedding will likely continue to occur for weeks after the primary infection, but the transmission rate is much lower.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Depends on variables: Oral secretions will be contagious for a week to 10 days while the virus can still be present in the stool for 6 weeks.In texas the department of health permits kids with hfm to return to day care after the fever is gone.Normal hygienic practices will prevent spread among susceptible adults.