Great Neck, NY

Sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago (xray no fractures) doing rice religiously ..tingling sensation in my foot ...normal healing process or nerve damage?

Dr. Bret Boyle
Wound care 28 years experience
The tingling could : result from either excessive swelling causing constriction to vessels and nerves or from excessive compression. Be sure you wrap from base of toes to lower calf and apply about 50% stretch to the elastic bandage. If tingling is not relieved, try removing wrap and using elevation of foot above the heart only as method to reduce swelling. Also, do not use ice or cold for more than 15-20 min.
Dr. Robert Hadfield
Podiatry 13 years experience
Both: It is likely a temporary nerve injury known as neuropraxia. It can take several weeks to several months for this to resolve completely. But usually if you have at least some sensation in the area this will eventually resolve.

Last updated Jul 13, 2020