Turlock, CA

trigeminal neuralgia lasted only 1 day. can ms or brain tumor cause trigeminal neuralgia to last only 1 day?

Dr. Adam Lewis
Neurosurgery 35 years experience
Trigeminal neuralgia: Brain tumors along the course of the trigeminal nerve and multiple sclerosis (MS) can cause trigeminal neuralgia. This type of face pain comes and goes and generally increases in frequency and severity over time. The first step in treating trigeminal neuralgia is to obtain a contrast MRI of the brain to exclude a tumor or MS. Then anticonvulsant medications are prescribed if the pain returns.
Dr. Sady Ribeiro
Specializes in Pain Management
Last one day ?: Could you describe what exact was the symptom? Did you experience it continuously for one day ? MS can be cause of trigeminal neuralgia many in young patients... Brain tumor can cause pain the face, but it is usually accompanied by some findings in the neuro exam
Neurology 52 years experience
None of above: Trigeminal neuralgia never lasts a solitary day, so, hopefully, this was just a transient Jaw problem which is gone. Do NOT understand why this episode brought up a concern for MS or brain tumor. If pain returns, see your dentist.
Dr. Daniel Rosenblum
Specializes in Hematology and Oncology
Sounds temporary: Trigeminal neuralgia, Multiple Sclerosis, and brain tumors all last much longer than that. Symptoms likely had another temporary cause.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
TN is a chronic: condition and can't be considered one time event. The neuralgias, or nerve pains are among the rare MS symptoms. One of these is trigeminal neuralgia which causes severe electrical shock-like pain. TN rarely occurs bilaterally; when it does, it is usually secondary to multiple sclerosis.
Dr. David Satloff
Pain Management 40 years experience
TN is usually a condition precipitated by the presence of a pathogen, toxin or allergen. MS is a stage 2 manifestation of Lyme Disease. Get checked by a neurologist.
Sep 6, 2014
Neurology 52 years experience
Comments: You do NOT have trigeminal neuralgia, unless it recurs, as unfortunately, once it starts, it can be unbearably frequent. Do not think you have MS or a brain tumor if you had just one day of facial pain. But might see a dentist, and check for jaw or tooth issues.