U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

My skin colour was fair but due to ultraviolet rays it becomes black near my face & neck.suggest tips to fair?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 49 years experience
180' wrong!: The area which is darker is tanning. The area without as much color has lost it's pigament containing cells. This is called autoimmnune vitiligo. Strongly associated with thyroiditis and pernicious anemia. I get 100 patient questions every summer! only solution, bleach the normally pigmented but darkening (tanned) areas.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 26, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.