U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 16-year-old male asked:

My mother has anemia. we eat the exact same food and i don't take vitamin supplements. so could i have b12 deficiency as well?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Inaam Schneider
Internal Medicine 45 years experience
No , Not Necessarily: B12 Def. can occur due to lack of a factor that is needed to allow B12 to be absorbed . For some reason your mom seems to lack this factor & she will probably have to get her B12 either by injection or intra nasally .I doubt that you will have B 12 Def this young .
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
A Verified Doctoranswered
45 years experience
Unlikely: B12 deficiency has specific causes. Two of them are GI tract disease related. You likely dont have these problems. Ask what the specific cause of your mother's B12 deficiency is known to be.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Aug 28, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.