Are papaverine and nimodipine the best cerebral vasodilators? I want to ask my neurologist about certain drugs to make sure we explore all options!

Dr. Adam Lewis
34 years experience in Neurosurgery
Vasospasm: When there is vasospasm of the arteries in the brain, an intraarterial infusion of verapamil or balloon angioplasty of the major vessels can help to overcome the arterial narrowing too. Maintaining high cardiac output, elevated blood volume, and relatively dilute blood concentration (hematocrit 30) can reduce the risk of stroke due to vasospasm.
Answered on Jul 14, 2016