why are the lymph nodes in the armpit removed when a person undergoes surgery for breast cancer?

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology 20 years experience
Cancer hiding spot: The lymph nodes in the axilla/armpit is usually one of the favorite locations of breast cancer to go to.
Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 34 years experience
Cancer Staging.: The lymph nodes are small filters in the body where cancer cells may spread after breaking out of the organ where the cancer started. Removing the lymph nodes gives us a "window into the rest of the body" to help us decide who may benefit from chemotherapy.
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgical Oncology 17 years experience
Metastatsis: The first place that breast cancer will travel is to the lymph nodes in the armpit. A procedure called a sentinel lymph node biopsy removes the first draining lymph node from the breast. If this does not have cancer then we know that most lilkely the cancer has not spread.