A member asked:

My 12 year has had a very strong fishy smell in her urine for a long time it's worse on her period too doctors in our town can't solve some advise ?

A doctor has provided 1 answer
Dr. Jeff Livingston answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

The doctors should do a urinalysis and possibly a urine culture. They should also do a vaginal swab and bacterial vaginosis which is a common cause of vaginal odor around the time of menses. Other infections should be tested as well. If all of those are normal then the pediatrician can evaluate for some of the rare causes of malodorous urine which can signal metabolic disorders.

Answered Nov 28, 2017



Still have questions?

Get the best care from a doctor who knows you.

Book a Video Appointment
Sponsor Content

Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor