How soon after taking dose rocephin (ceftriaxone) people stop being contagious?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Stephen Scholand answered

Specializes in Infectious Disease

Ceftriaxone therapy: Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class (relative of penicillin). It is useful for a large array of different infections. What I like to see, is what we call a 'clinical response' wherein the patient gets better. Then, the infectivity drops off from there. If there are any symptoms still present, I would wait until those resolve completely before pronouncing you 'cured'.

Answered 6/24/2014

4k views

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Get a follow- up: A follow-up test for GC is best. Sometimes people become carriers. Rocephin (ceftriaxone) is the treatment of choice. It is a cephalosporin, not a penicillin, so it is usually safe to use on a person allergic to penicillin. Be sure to check for other STD now and in the future. Condoms help but are not perfect.

Answered 7/1/2014

4k views

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

After resolution of: Symptoms. Will advise the use of protective barirer at least a week after resolution of symptoms

Answered 12/11/2015

3.9k views