Monrovia, CA

How soon after taking dose rocephin (ceftriaxone) people stop being contagious?

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Infectious Disease 25 years experience
Ceftriaxone therapy: Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class (relative of penicillin). It is useful for a large array of different infections. What I like to see, is what we call a 'clinical response' wherein the patient gets better. Then, the infectivity drops off from there. If there are any symptoms still present, I would wait until those resolve completely before pronouncing you 'cured'.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 59 years experience
Get a follow- up: A follow-up test for GC is best. Sometimes people become carriers. Rocephin (ceftriaxone) is the treatment of choice. It is a cephalosporin, not a penicillin, so it is usually safe to use on a person allergic to penicillin. Be sure to check for other STD now and in the future. Condoms help but are not perfect.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
After resolution of: Symptoms. Will advise the use of protective barirer at least a week after resolution of symptoms