U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 44-year-old member asked:

What do you do if a child with bipolar disorder has a tantrum and is destroying property in the home?

1 doctor answer6 doctors weighed in
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Psychiatry 34 years experience
Get help: Tantrums and aggressive outbursts are often symptoms of the disorder and can respond to appropriate medication. Behavioral interventions often don't work until the mood is stabilized with medication. Working with a good child therapist is often very helpful in establishing how to deal with negative behavior, again after the mood is stabilized.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 25-year-old member asked:
Is insecure attachments as a child associated with bipolar disorder as an adult?
3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
If one child in a family has bipolar disorder, how likely is it that another child will get it too?
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
How do you test for bipolar disorder in a child?
3 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 27, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.