U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Newport Beach, CA
A 29-year-old male asked:

Could the the saliva of a homeless man, and a junkie, possibly hiv positive, have any possible effects on me, if small amounts in my mouth or eyes?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Collins
Dr. Donald Collinsanswered
Family Medicine 42 years experience
Yes: You can acquire AIDS from contact with any body fluid of an infected person, especially in your mouth or eyes. See a doctor and get tested.
Dr. Ray Oyakawa
Dr. Ray Oyakawa commented
Ophthalmology 46 years experience
Yes, it is possible to get HIV infection from any body fluids. The chances are less from what you describe compared to fluid contact with an open wound. You mouth would need open sores or bleeding gums. However, YOU SHOULD get checked.
May 25, 2014

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Nov 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.