Hartselle, AL

I have low potassium could that make me have panic attacks or anxiety problems. my doctor did a ekg and chest xray and my heart is good?

Dr. Amanda Itzkoff
Not likely: It sounds like the Lo potassium was an incidental finding. After nl tests, it was determined it wasn't having clinical affects . Your sxs resemble those of panic disorder (arm pain, cp, shortness of breath), extreme anxiety, and fear of serious medical causes (like your continued concern that maybe k is the cause). Meet with your psych MD to discuss anxiety and treatments so you can be panic free
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Okamoto
Unlikely: Panic attacks and anxiety are unlikely to be caused by low potassium, although I wish it were, since that would be easily treated with oral potassium! Unfortunately the cause of panic/anxiety is usually more complicated than that. Sometimes low levels of neurotransmitters are associated with anxiety disorders and/or underlying stress/fears/trauma may be a factor. I would discuss this with your MD
Last updated May 9, 2016