U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old male asked:

Will a ct scan of chest/lungs w/o contrast still show pulmonary embolism and what r my options for treatment? will i be able to breathe better again?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. George Horng
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care 21 years experience
Need CT angiogram: You really need a CT angiogram of the chest to reliably detect pulmonary embolism. IV contrast is needed to see blood clots in the pulmonary vessels. Anticoagulation is the main treatment for pulmonary embolism.
Last updated May 19, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.