what to do if my back is stiff and painful!?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Pinched Nerve/Muscle: Most times back pain that is sudden onset will resolve. You should use anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen, aleve around the clock and even tylenol (acetaminophen) to help. If this does not resolve you should see your doctor for a full evaluation. If it still does not resolve, I would recommend to see a spine specialist for a full evaluation and testing. You may need to get an MRI to see inside the spine.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Low Back Pain: Consider stretching exercises, acetaminophen and non steroidal agents ( ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.), modify your activity. If this persists you may want to see your doc to get more specific advice - sometimes physical therapy, massage and acupuncture help.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Stretch: Stretching is a great way to loosen tighness and stiffness. So is heat. Try stretching after a hot shower. If pain persists - this is a signal it is time to visit the doctor.