My foot twisted not my ankle. i have pain on the side of my foot and 5th toe. the swollen had gone down but now its getting bruised. did i break it?

Dr. Doug Mason
Podiatry 34 years experience
X-ray: Ankle sprain are common to cause fracture of the 5th metatarsal. I would strongly get an x-rays to make sure it is not broken.
Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Scott Keith commented
Podiatry 45 years experience
The fact that the swelling has gone down is a good sign. The bruising could be from soft tissue damage as well as bone damage. It is probably not fractured, but remove all doubt and have it examined.
Jul 21, 2015
Dr. Darrell Latva
Podiatry 43 years experience
ANKLE SPRAIN: Actually, you probably turned your ankle, and the foot turned in with it. When did this happen? Are you getting better? Is there one spot on the side of the foot that hurts most when you press on it? If you're getting better, the chance of a break is diminishing. But, the only way to be sure is with an x-ray. Regards, Dr. Latva

Last updated Apr 25, 2016