Newtown Square, PA

severe headache, my head is throbbing and i have pain above my eye brows, it feels tight and painful. the back of my skull gets shooting pain as well?

Dr. Adam Lewis
Neurosurgery 35 years experience
Tension migraine: Tension migraine is a type of headache caused by contraction of the muscles that attach to the skull. The headaches often worsen as the day progresses. Treatment includes massage, physical therapy, biofeedback and meditation to reduce stress and anxiety. Botox injections in the scalp muscles and a variety of medications may reduce the headaches. See a neurologist who specializes in headaches.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Cervical Facet Dz: The cervical facets in the neck can develop the osteoarthritis you mentioned and can cause headaches as well. Typically facet injections can help relieve the pain and reduce headaches. If these are short lived then the nerves supplying those joints can be ablated for long term relief, this is called radiofrequency ablation or rhizotomy. Botox injections to the neck and head can also be helpful.
Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Adam Lewis commented
Neurosurgery 35 years experience
physical therapy and chiropractic care can augment the cervical facet injections to eliminate or reduce the pain
Jul 5, 2014

Last updated Jul 5, 2014