Lakeland, FL

will wering a foley catheter for a couple months weaken my bladder to where i can lose control of it . how long will it take to damadge the bladder?

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Urology 44 years experience
See answer: Though an indwelling Foley catheter can be a valuable tool or necessity in patient care when used properly, there are a number of potential complications associated with catheters: UTI (most common), sepsis, bladder spasms, urine leakage around Foley, bladder stones, hematuria, urethral injury, etc. Whereas, Foley drainage could adversely damage bladder and affect control, this usually takes yrs.