U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old female asked:

I have anxiety-depression with bipolar tendencies. i am taking medication and following psychotherapy. how can i help myself in other ways?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Sleep is SACRED !: Aim for daily exercise, 8 hours of sleep per night & good nutrition with 5 servings of veggies & 4 of fruit per day. Try tai chi, yoga, Qi Gong, progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercises & meditation. Don't isolate - spend time with friends and stay active.
Dr. Thomas Phillips
Clinical Psychology 33 years experience
Yes. Sleep and a healthy lifestyle including a regular schedule or rhythm in life including physical activity and rewarding social contacts.
May 23, 2015
Dr. Joshua Ordway
12 years experience
Exercise! : That's a great question! Exercise has been shown to improve mood as much as medicines. Adding exercise to your medicine could improve your mood. Also, decreasing any tobacco or alcohol use will improve your mood.
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology 43 years experience
Depression: It would be best to talk over with your Clinical Psychologist what your interests and strengths are to tailor a program of self-help for you. Also it would help to clarify what you mean by Bi-Polar tendencies. A Psychiatrist can help you with a correct diagnosis and medication.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jul 15, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.