Greeley, CO

Im being treated for a throat infection but my doctor never did a culture, said it was cheaper to just treat it, is this the usual way of doing it?

Dr. Kathleen Gilmore
Urgent Care 27 years experience
If classic: There are classic history and examination findings for Group A strep infection. I normally send a culture to document the presence of infection, which helps for counting number in consideration of future tonsillectomy, it is also helpful if you are the family physician, and a household member develops the same symptoms. And yes I have bypassed it for patient without insurance to keep their bill lo.

Last updated May 8, 2014