Milpitas, CA

what medications cause ast to rise?

Dr. Veena Govila
Ast: Lots of drugs are metabolized thro p450 liver. Any meds that you are interested in can see the med package or ask the pharmacist.

What are the common causes of an elevated sgot?

Dr. Michio Abe
Alcohol: Sgot, also called AST is traditionally associated with liver function test along with SGPT (or alt).  it is raised in liver cell injury, but is not as specific to the liver as alt is. It is also present in red blood cells, cardiac and skeletal muscle. The ratio of AST to alt is sometimes useful in determining causes of liver damage. A classic example of elevated ast>alt is alcoholic liver disease.

I got 180 in my sgot test, am afraid please answer me what have I got and what is the treatment and where to go to be cured ?

Dr. Vance Harris
Talk to your doctor: There are many reasons for an elevated SGOT and some resolve and others need treatment. Talk your doctor to get the diagnosis and then you will have a better idea what you need to do to treat it. Too many causes to list here.
Atwood, TN

What does an elevated sgot of 84 mean?

Dr. Robert Greer
Many: We need to know what the other liver function tests show as well.The possibilities are too numerous to list here but any liver enzyme elevation raises the question of hepatitis.A frank discussion of your past is essential with your dr.

What is the definition or description of: sgot?

Dr. Rami Haddad
Hematology and Oncology 25 years experience
Liver enzyme: Has metabolic function, elevated if liver cells are damaged.
Califon, NJ

What does a sgot test of 59 mean?

Pathology 44 years experience
It's high: And probably worth figuring out why. If it seems to be coming from your liver (your physician can tell), you'll get a workup which may start with a repeat off alcohol & meds. If it's normalized, that's your wakeup call. If not, a check for treatable serious diseae (hepatitis family, hemochromatosis, wilson's, a few others) is in order. If that's clear, a rx for increased fitness may be in order.

Last updated Mar 8, 2019