U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old member asked:

can bell's palsy be caused by stress?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
No: Although stress can cause the immune system to not work as well and this might lead to an increased incidence of viral illnesses, stress by itself does not cause bell's palsy.
Dr. Babak Azizzadeh
Facial Plastic Surgery 18 years experience
No.: http://www.facialparalysisinstitute.com/5/bellpalsy.html stress is an unlikely trigger of bell's palsy. A common cause of bell's palsy is the reactivation of a herpes virus. It's important to speak with a facial plastic surgeon to gain a better understanding of what may be causing you trouble.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership

Similar questions

A 39-year-old member asked:

Will stress cause bell's palsy?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 46 years experience
No: Bell palsey is felt to represent an reaction to a prior viral illness where antibodies developed to fight off the virus attack the facial nerve on one side instead. This produces the one sided facial droop.Most recover in time with no specific rx. Stress may predate a stroke, but this palsy has no link to that condition.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Gastroenterology 43 years experience
Bell's palsy may also be a presenting sign of Lyme disease
Jan 6, 2012
A 26-year-old member asked:

Can bell's palsy be caused by lots of stress?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
Bell's Palsy: Stress is known to trigger many neurological conditions to flair, particularly when they are believed to be caused by an infectious agents (such as "fever blisters" and "shingles" from herpes). Bell's palsy is controversial, in that the root cause is not proven to be known, but could certainly be viral or "inflammatory".
A 34-year-old member asked:

Is it normal for EKG and stress tests to be normal after stent & 2 angioplasties were done?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Vardhan Reddy
Vascular Surgery 36 years experience
Yes/no : 85% chance of being abnormal. And it can be normal in 15%of pts.
Malta
A 48-year-old female asked:

During a very stressful period in my life, i got bell's palsy. Could the stress be the cause of it?

4 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Timothy Carey
Ophthalmology 36 years experience
Yes: Stress can be a cause of bell's palsy usually by reactivating a latent virus. Check with your primary care physician for more information.
ZA
A 50-year-old female asked:

Can past Bells palsy reoccur or cause headaches when stressed ?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Aylwin david Nathaniel
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Yes: Yes Bell's palsy can recur. Debatable as to whether the palsy is responsible for the headache. Best to consult your GP for further investigation.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership
Last updated Nov 9, 2015

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with
membership

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.