Plainfield, MI

I have a cold coming on and a non doctor friend told me to take 2000 mg vita c 3 times a day. is that amount safe and for how many days?

Dr. Francis Cannizzo
General Surgery 27 years experience
Safe but useless: Megadose vitamin c has been advocated since the 80's by people like linus pauling. Vitamin c is cheap and safe but it has never been shown to prevent, treat, or shorten the duration of colds. The daily dose of vit c is 200mg, any extra you take is flushed from the body in your urine. Washing your hands regularly, eating right, getting plenty of sleep and exercise is more effective prevention.

Last updated May 21, 2015