Highlands Ranch, CO

my doc advised me to take 40mg pantoprazole twice a day and ranitidine 300 mg at bedtime.is it safe for me?

Dr. Ali Seifi
Dr. Ali Seifi answered
Critical Care 25 years experience
Nocturnal acid : It is not a standard of care in practice to combine ppi and h2 blocker. It has side effects but there is one study that shows some benefit in lowering the reflux but i don't suggest to do it, see here: addition of a h2 receptor antagonist to ppi improves acid control and decreases nocturnal acid breakthrough. Mainie i, et al. Journal j clin gastroenterol. 2008 jul;42(6):676-9.

Last updated Apr 21, 2014