Is it bad to get first mammogram in their 50's?

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgical Oncology 65 years experience
No: While breast cancer is seen for the most part starting in the 30's and becoming more prevalent in the 40's more women get breast ca in their 50's. Dense breasts in early years makes reading a mammo diffiicult and the young patient can be effected by radiation. Starting in 30's best exam is a montly one after menstural period.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 34 years experience
Mammogram.: Organizations like the American Cancer Society and American College of Radiology recommend starting screening at 40. There are some who recommend starting at 50. Either way, now is probably an appropriate time for you to have your first mammogram.