Mount Airy, MD

Inside my left ear has been itchy and so has the left side of my throat i tried cleaning it with a qtip but it still itching is it a ear infection?

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 62 years experience
No: The worst thing you can do is clean out your ear canal with a q-tip. You will only succeed in pushing the wax (if it exists) in further toward the ear drum. Itching in the ear canal is usually the symptom of dryness. Use 4 drops of mineral oil in your left ear and put a small piece of cotton batten in ear opening for 5 minutes 3 to 4 times a day and only for the itching. Stop using q-tips.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 16, 2014