U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Indianapolis, IN
A 28-year-old male asked:

I punched a wall and the right side of my hand is swollen. i can move my pinky but it hurts when i move it. my pinky knuckle hurts as well! any advice?

5 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Brian Rike
Emergency Medicine 15 years experience
Boxers fracture: Sounds like u may have a boxers fracture need to get an xray of your hand.
Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Prem Gupta commented
neurology 49 years experience
Also look in the cause of your inappropriate behaviour of punching the wall and hurting yourself.
Apr 15, 2014
Dr. Andrea Brand
Specializes in Family Medicine
See a doctor: A fracture is likely, and this needs medical attention, including examination and probably x ray.
Dr. Carl Zooberg
43 years experience
Boxer's fracture: Most likely a boxer's fracture of the 5th metacarpal. Need to get an xray of the hand with 3 views and see an orthopedic doctor.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 29 years experience
Boxer's Fracture: One of the most common diagnosis in men in their twenties and thirties is the post 'hitting a wall' fracture of the hand. It is time for an x-ray. There are better anger management techniques then breaking your hand hitting a wall. Just saying.
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
Dr. Killian has given you very good advice. Please do get that hand x-rayed. I'm a ringside physician and perhaps after this misadventure, you can make the best of it by getting some coaching in a good boxing gym and learn how to throw a punch without hurting yourself. Don't punch walls, or punch another person in anger, but you can hit a bag to your heart's content. Best wishes.
Apr 15, 2014
Dr. Chukwuka Okafor
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 17 years experience
Xrays: Go get some x-rays, you may have a boxer's fracture.
Last updated May 15, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.