what are the early signs of cerebral palsy?

Delayed motor skills: CP kids often have a delay in showing motor skills, abnormally stiff of loose muscle tone, handedness before their 1st birthday & abnormal movements. A history of a related risk factor is also likely.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Early handedness: An early preferance for the use of one hand (handedness before 18 months of age), fisting of the hands and scissoring of the legs are often early subtle signs of cerebral palsy.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
The first signs are : persistence of primitive reflexes past the normal ages & lack of development of protective reflexes, which delay volitional movements. Arching, standing straight up too early & scooting on the back signal imbalance of extensor & flexor muscle tone/strength. Because gross motor develops head to toe the 1st yr., Early Intervention helps quality of movements as well as attainment of milestones.